SCIENCE SALON # 79
Michael Shermer with Anthony Kronman — The Assault on American Excellence
The former dean of Yale Law School argues that the feverish egalitarianism gripping college campuses today is out of place at institutions whose job is to prepare citizens to live in a vibrant democracy. In his tenure at Yale, Anthony Kronman has watched students march across campus to protest the names of buildings and seen colleagues resign over emails about Halloween costumes. He is no stranger to recent confrontations at American universities. But where many see only the suppression of free speech, the babying of students, and the drive to bury the imperfect parts of our history, Kronman recognizes in these on-campus clashes a threat to our democracy. Shermer and Kronman discuss:
- free speech vs. hate speech
- how language affects how we think about other people
- diversity of characteristics (race, gender) vs. diversity of viewpoints
- the search for universal truths vs. understanding other’s perspectives
- affirmative action in the academy: from the University of California to Harvard
- taking down statues of Hitler and Stalin vs. taking down statues of Confederate Generals
- the problem of applying current moral values to the past, and
- how to reform the academy to refocus on excellence.
Anthony T. Kronman served as the dean of Yale Law School from 1994–2004, and has taught at the university for forty years. He is the author or coauthor of five books, including The Assault on American Excellence; Education’s End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life; and Confessions of a Born-Again Pagan.
THIS WEEKEND ONLY!
99¢ back issues (in print or digital formats)
Do not miss the incredible sale this Friday though Sunday on digital back issues of Skeptic magazine via pocketmags.com and print back issues via shop.skeptic.com. For 3 days only, all print and digital back issues of Skeptic magazine will be on sale for the ridiculously low price of 99¢ each! Now is the best time to complete your collection!
Your digital purchase(s) on pocketmags.com can be synchronized to your favourite Apple or Android device(s), or read on your PC or Mac.
Sale runs from Friday August 23 2019 through Sunday August 25 2019 (Pacific Time) while supplies last. For back issues in print format, shipping will be calculated based on weight & destination and added to your total at checkout. Back issues that are no longer available in print may be available in digital format (except for a couple of our earliest volumes).