Subcribe to Skeptic magazine
and get this as your first issue
Skeptic Volume 14, Number 4
- The Psychology of the Ponzi Scheme
- In this issue: Fooled by Ponzi (and Madoff); Klaatu; JFK; The Great Self-Esteem & Positive Thinking Debacle, How People Decide Who to Trust About Science Claims; The Garden of Eden: It’s Origins & Meaning; The SkepDoc on: Gulf War Syndrome & What to Eat … READ the cover story free online >
Please note: this issue is still being printed and will begin shipping around the beginning of April.
Check out these other
- Failure or Fulfillment?
- Many best sellers have been written about Bible prophecy. Their authors first claim that many accurate predictions were made by the prophets of ancient times, and then insist they themselves have the same ability, using the Bible as a crystal ball to predict the usually apocalyptic future. Rarely have their methods of interpretation, their logic, or their historical accuracy been questioned. Tim Callahan rises to the challenge with wit and clarity.
READ more and order the book >
Break the Science Barrier
- The power & beauty of science
- This one-hour documentary by Richard Dawkins, the famed British evolutionary biologist and world-renowned science writer, communicates both the power and the beauty of science through a series of stories and vignettes dealing with a wide variety of topics, including the discovery of the Big Bang, junk science in the courtroom, magic and deception, and how science is the best tool ever devised for understanding how the world works…
Baloney Detection Kit
- An excellent skepticism resource
- This 16-page booklet is designed to hone your critical thinking skills. It includes suggestions on what questions to ask, what traps to avoid, specific examples of how the scientific method is used to test pseudoscience and paranormal claims, a how-to guide for developing a class in critical thinking, and much more!
Skepticamp in Atlanta
This week’s Skepticality hits the highlights and plays excerpts from Atlanta Skepticamp. Topics from the two day “un-conference” included: raising children to be critical thinkers; homeopathy; the question of what organic food labels really mean; and (in discussion with the hosts of the American Freethought podcast) the role of new media in promoting the growth of the skeptical community.
Also, Derek & Swoopy check the skeptical events calendar to keep listeners updated on upcoming Skepticamps and other events for skeptics around the world.
A Skeptic in Creation Land
Michael Shermer visited the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky, run by Answers in Genesis, the young-earth creationist organization run by Ken Ham, an Old Testament looking figure if ever there was one. The highlight was his interview with Dr. Georgia Purdom, the museum’s “research scientist” who explained what type of research one can do at a young-earth creationist organization, and why she thinks Francis Collins is wrong in his evolutionary understanding of the human genome.
new this week on MichaelShermer.com
Stay up-to-date with new additions to MichaelShermer.com
by subscribing to the RSS feed.