In this week’s eSkeptic:
Ancient Alien Astronauts:
Interview with Ken Feder
Did ancient humans gain their technological achievements through the assistance of creatures from other planets? This week on MonsterTalk, Dr. Feder, an archaeology professor who has taught a course on the topic, shares his thoughts. Feder is the author of Frauds, Myths and Mysteries—a book with more good scientific content on the cover than most TV shows have in an entire season.
What’s in a Number?
Lots! (if the number is 19)
edited by Michael Shermer
Max says: 19 hijackers… Why 19? Are they trying to one-up Jews, for whom 18 is significant? It was convincing to Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, who drove an SUV through a crowd at UNC, where he had completed an undergraduate degree in psychology. “In the Qur’an, Allah states that the believing men and women have permission to murder anyone responsible for the killing of other believing men and women. I know that the Qur’an is a legitimate and authoritative holy scripture since it is completely validated by modern science and also mathematically encoded with the number 19 beyond human ability. After extensive contemplation and reflection, I have made the decision to exercise the right of violent retaliation that Allah has given me to the fullest extent to which I am capable at present.”
11 dahs + 8 dits… OMG! These guys must be onto something! I always thought 61 was the real magical number, but this changed my perspective for sure.
The Law of Fives states simply that: ALL THINGS HAPPEN IN FIVES, OR ARE DIVISIBLE BY OR ARE MULTIPLES OF FIVE, OR ARE SOMEHOW DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY APPROPRIATE TO 5.
The Law of Fives is never wrong.
In the Erisian Archives is an old memo from Omar to Mal-2: “I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look.”
Stephen King’s seven book epic The Dark Tower saga employs the number 19 in books The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla, and The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah as a mysterious and important number. They refer to the “ka-tet of 19″, many names add up to 19, 19 seems to permeate every aspect of Roland and his traveler’s lives. In addition, the number ends up being a powerful key.
Makes me wonder if King knew about this Quran and 19 thing and took the idea from there.
I remember once going to see [Ramanujan] when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. “No,” he replied, “it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.”
Second, from Richard Feynman, about how he beat an abacus salesman at calculating the cube root of 1729.03, by observing that 1729 is 1 plus the number of cubic inches in a cubic foot.
- 42 = The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
- 42nd word in the article: “god”.
- The number of times the word “god” is used in the article: 13.
- Number of letters in Michael Shermer: 14 = 13+1…the god count plus 1 to represent his one trueness.
That makes it all pretty clear, don’t you think?
- 24 hours in a day
- 24 is the atomic number of chromium
- there are 24 ribs in the human body
- Septillion has 24 zeroes
- There are 24 letters in the Greek alphabet, both modern & classical
- 24 karat gold is pure gold
- There are 24 “perfect” numbers (numbers that equal the sum of all its divisors except itself)
- 24 is the smallest number to have 8 different factors (1,2,3,4,6,8,12)
- 24 is the largest number divisible by all numbers less than its square root
- 24 is the number of cycles in the Chinese solar year
- 24 is the number of books in the Tanakh
- 24 is the total number of major and minor keys in Western tonal music, not counting enharmonic equivalents
- 24 is the sum of twin prime (11 + 13) numbers
- The Earth travels 24,000 miles in 24 hours
- 24 is the number of bits a computer needs to accurately represent “true” color images
- The 24 Runes of the Elder Futhark. Traditionally, the 24 letters are divided into three groups of eight letters called ættir
- The Chaldeans distinguished, apart from the zodiacal circle, 24 stars including 12 southern and 12 boreal, and they called them the “Judges of the universe”
- Each of the twelve permutations of the Tetragrammaton has 2 aspects=2 x 12=24
- In the Torah, the priesthood is aquired through twenty-four virtues
- In numerology, the word “holy” adds up to 24, and so does “truth”
- There are 24 chapters in “Illiad”, “Oddysey” and “Gospel According to Luke”
- 24 elders in the book of Revelation
Besides all that, I notice that just about every time I see a sports team, someone is wearing the number 24. Since my birthday is in March, the number becomes 324. Sometimes when I look at a digital clock, it says 3:24, and I know that whatever I’m thinking or doing at that moment is correct and right on track. Sometimes when I make a purchase, the total comes to 3.24…this tells me that God is smiling at me. When I make a larger purchase and am having trouble choosing, sometimes the choices come down to paying $324 or say, $283. I will buy the item that costs $324 because I know that this is God helping me to make my decision. In the bible, any verse that is numbered 3:24 or 32:4 is a special message just for me. Since I was born in March 1965, this also tells me how special I am since “365″ is the number of days in the year. Not only that, but it was the age of Enoch when he died, and Enoch had a very special relationship with God. Although this posting is written tongue-in-cheek, I really did used to believe some of these things.
NOTE: Shermer’s 19 article was also posted in eSkeptic for June 29, 2011. For those of you who missed it, there are more excellent responses to the patternicity challenge in the comments section of that eSkeptic. Be sure to check them out!