SCIENCE SALON # 130
Michael Shermer with Debra Soh — The End of Gender: Debunking the Myths About Sex and Identity in Our Society
Is our gender something we’re born with, or are we conditioned by society? In The End of Gender, neuroscientist and sexologist Dr. Debra Soh uses a research-based approach to address this hot-button topic, unmasking popular misconceptions about the nature vs. nurture debate and exploring what it means to be a woman or a man in today’s society. Shermer and Soh discuss:
- If you are transitioning to a different gender, but the word “gender” is largely meaningless biologically, then what are you transitioning to and what is the point of hormone therapy and surgery?
- the 1990s push to find biological basis of homosexuality so it’s not a “lifestyle choice” and how this trend has been recently reversed,
- the problem of putting ideology before science,
- cognitive creationism on the left (evolution from the neck down),
- why biology is not destiny,
- cancel culture,
- sex and gender,
- percentages of the population of LGBTQ,
- what you identify as vs. who you’re attracted to,
- individual behavior vs. collective labels,
- sexual orientation and gender identity,
- gender neutral parenting,
- gender dysphoria,
- men and women dating,
- trans bathrooms, prisons, and sports.
Dr. Debra Soh is a neuroscientist who specializes in gender, sex, and sexual orientation. She received her doctorate from York University in Toronto and worked as an academic researcher for eleven years. Her writing has appeared in The Globe and Mail (Toronto), Harper’s Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, Scientific American, Playboy, Quillette, and many other publications. Her research has been published in academic journals including the Archives of Sexual Behavior and Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. As a journalist, Soh writes about the science and politics of human sexuality and gender, free speech, and censorship in academia. She lives in Toronto and divides her time between New York and Los Angeles. Follow her on Twitter at @DrDebraSoh and visit her website at DrDebraSoh.com.
You play a vital part in our commitment to promoting science and reason. If you enjoy the Science Salon Podcast, please show your support.